Contributing to WordPress
Moving From User to Contributor
WordCamp Grand Rapids 2019
What Does It Mean To Be A Contributor
All you need is a desire to help.
Give Your Time
Use Your Talents: Non-Developers
- Help maintain the website content for a local non-profit, school, or community service organization.
- Type and/or write copy.
- Take photos and prepare them for their website.
- Organize a website marketing/content calendar.
- Help to translate WordPress and/or your favorite plugins – Translator’s Handbook
- Help update the WordPress documentation – Documentation Contributor Handbook
Use Your Talents: Developers
- Assist with WordPress.org plugin fixes and enhancements.
- Look at the WordPress.org Support forums and submit a patch/fix or new feature.
- Look at the plugin’s own Issues Tracker(GitHub?) and submit a patch/fix or new feature.
- Participate in Hacktoberfest
- Contribute to WordPress Core – Developer Hub
How I Became A Contributor
- Volunteered at a WordCamp
- Participated in the WordPress Grand Rapids Slack group
- Submitted fixes to WordPress plugins I used as part of Hacktoberfest
- Helped Organize, Volunteered, and Spoke at a WordCamp
- Submitted feature enhancements to a WordPress.org plugin and became a co-maintainer