“It is remarkable indeed how time flies and makes you an old man whether you want to be or not.” – Harry Truman
1. Start now to become the person you want to be when you are older.
The man you are becoming right now is the man you will be when you are older.
The deficiencies you have now don’t get better over time.
2. Dump the bad habits and build good habits right now into your life.
The Habit Loop
Make Your Bed – William H. McRaven
Create S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- S – specific
- M – measurable
- A – achievable
- R – realistic
- T – timely
Build a habit of reading the word, prayer. Find a way to build spiritual habits into your life.
Build relationship habits. Build physical habits.
There is no age limit to starting new habits or breaking bad ones.
Bad habits don’t go away on their own.
How to you break bad habits?
- Admit it
- Identify the trigger
- Find someone to hold you accountable
3. Determine now to live your life as a man of God.
If you don’t devote time to God now you be unlikely to do so when you are old.
Don’t let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, “Life is not pleasant anymore.” Remember him before the light of the sun, moon, and stars is dim to your old eyes, and rain clouds continually darken your sky. Remember him before your legs—the guards of your house—start to tremble; and before your shoulders—the strong men—stoop. Remember him before your teeth—your few remaining servants—stop grinding; and before your eyes—the women looking through the windows—see dimly. – Ecclesiastes 12:1-3 NLT
Yes, remember your Creator now while you are young, before the silver cord of life snaps and the golden bowl is broken. Don’t wait until the water jar is smashed at the spring and the pulley is broken at the well. For then the dust will return to the earth, and the spirit will return to God who gave it. – Ecclesiastes 12:6-7 NLT
4. Start now to dump the bad people in your life and surround yourself with good people.
5. Finally, start now to plan for that time in your life when you are no longer working.
- Prepare financially, saving and debt free
- Plan for what you are going to do
“When you start stopping, that’s when you start getting old.”